The Q-Box SR1LP Soil Respiration Package is designed for short term measurements of soil respiration and water loss in the field conditions. Measurements of soil temperature and soil moisture plus atmospheric pressure are also performed with this package. The battery pack, included with the package provides approximately 11 hours of field use. Soil samples can also be assessed back in the lab when placed in a flow-through chamber.
Soil respiration is measured as the rate of CO2 accumulation by the Q-S151 CO2 Analyzer. Soil respiration may be measured in situ with a soil chamber placed over the soil in the field. Samples of soil may be brought back to the lab and measured in flow through chamber for CO2 production. In addition to soil respiration Q-Box SR1LP package allows measurements of soil temperature with the S132 temperature probe and water loss from the soil with the S161 Temperature/Relative Humidity sensor. Soil moisture is measured with the S135 Soil Moisture Sensor. The flow through the system is monitored by the Q-G266 Flow Monitor. An absolute pressure sensor provides measurements of atmospheric pressure. The Analog signals from all of the sensors and analyzers are converted to digital signals via two integrated LabQuest mini interfaces and one single USB interface for total of 7 channels. Data is displayed, recorded and manipulated on a PC or Macintosh computer using Logger Pro software.
There are many other potential applications for Q-Box SR1LP package both in open flow and closed gas exchange systems. For example, it can be used to measure CO2 exchange from any organism or sample maintained in a flow-through chamber. In addition, it can be used to examine respiration or fermentation in aqueous suspensions when air or N2 is bubbled through the suspension and the outflow gas is analyzed using the CO2 Analyzer. Provided that CO2 production rates are in the correct range, the package can be used to measure CO2 production of virtually any biological system.
- Self contained gas analysis system for in situ soil respiration measurements
- Measurements of CO2 exchange of any organism in a flow through system
- Modular system with interchangeable components
- Housed in a rugged case for easy transport and field use
- Battery pack for 11hr of field operation included
- Soil Respiration measurements in situ, or from samples brought back to the lab and placed in a flow through chamber.
- CO2 exchange measurements of organisms placed in the flow through chamber
- Head Space measurements of CO2 (fermentation studies, bacterial respiration)
- Environmental monitoring (CO2, RH, Temp, Soil moisture, Atmospheric Pressure measurements)
- Q-P103 Gas Pump (1L/min no load)
- G180 Soil Chamber with collar (10.2cm x 20cm high)
- G115 Flow Through Chamber (3.8 x 20cm)
- Q-S151 (0-2000 ppm) (Includes CO2 and H2O scrubbers)
- S132 Temperature Probe
- Q-S161 RH/Temperature Sensor
- S135 Soil Moisture sensor
- Q-G266 Flow Monitor (0-1L/min)
- G122 Gas Bags Large (30L x 2)
- A249 Battery Pack
- C610 Two integrated LabQuest Mini interfaces
- C901 Logger Pro Software
- C404 Customized Setup Software
- Q-Box Accessory Kit
- Rugged water proof case housing all sensors and analyzers
- individual power supplies for stand alone use of analyzers and sensors
Q-Box SR1LP Software
“When purchasing a new gas exchange system for research purposes, I took a chance with Qubit systems; they claimed to produce a competitive system at almost half the price of those of more established companies. I am happy to say that I am entirely happy with my decision. I now have a reliable and versatile system that is just as accurate as the more expensive competition and, because it is modular, can be expanded as my needs evolve. Most importantly, I received outstanding service during all phases of purchase: conception, ordering, installation and continuing help.”
Dr. Bill Shipley, Département de Biologie, Université de Sherbrooke